Thursday 27 October 2016

Level Design Part 7 - Environment Assets P1

Now that I have had the game tested I was happy enough with it to move into making the thing look prettier. 

First off I wanted to make sure that I kept the style consistent between all assets. This is an important part of the art design in game because a lot of inconsistency in a chosen style can really throw the player off and break the feeling of the world.
'This assures consistency, looks like the same artist painted them and it looks professional - like you actually thought about what you were doing.'David Kessler 2016.

I created a smart material in substance that created the basis of my stylised look. I could then throw on any colours or textures underneath this to mask them in the same style. This made my workflow a lot faster than it would have been if I had manually created the stylised look for each asset and as previously stated stopped model style looking inconsistent. 



This is the set of modular rocks I created, however you will notice they look a little different in unreal 4. This is because I knew that these types of rocks have white lines across them but if I put it in each individual models texture these lines would scale with the size of the model, this would make a lot of inconsistency in the look of the rocks. 

To counteract this problem I created a material in unreal that masks out the white lines using world coordinates  then overlays them on to the rock model based on its location in the world. This made all the lines on the rocks be the same scale regardless of the size of the model and I think it really does blend the rocks together more, making each piece of the assets less obvious.


A bunch of the general assets and the boss battles platforms.


Arid plants.



References

"Artists Must Maintain Consistency In Their Work". David M. Kessler Fine Art. N.p., 2016. Web. 23 Oct. 2016.
Temba, Anton. "Keep Your Game Consistent At All Times.". Gamasutra.com. N.p., 2016. Web. 22 Oct. 2016.








No comments:

Post a Comment