Wednesday 5 October 2016

Game Prototype Progress Part 1

Now that we are trying to do some part of the project in the next 3 weeks to see if we feel the project is going to work i'm going to try to get a prototype 1st level as polished as possible. Currently I have a level that's about 4 mins in length with 3 enemy types programmed in.


First off as with everything else I wanted how the player to move to have a lot of character behind it. I decided that it would be better to use physics movement for the player so I can cut down on animation and blueprint works. The first video shows the difference between basic character movement and using physics to drive it instead. I used the community based plugin for unreal 4 called Machinery Modelling Toolkit, this plugin made it quite painless to set up the physics (Had to change a few things to tune it what I needed).  It's pretty obvious which of the 2 looks visually more interesting.


This is the level I've created upto now. I've added a jump to the tank because one of the main problems I've had with design in similar games is that they have no vertical aspect to movement. Now that the player can jump I can add more interesting aspects to the level, like giving the player a choice between 2 paths.
This is a good base in my opinion for starting off the 3 week test because I can look at the good and bad points of the current version and research what and why the affect the game in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment