Saturday 19 November 2016

Enemy Concept - Sketching decisions

For the enemy humans I want a quintessential 80's look. I looked at some iconic series from the 80's for inspiration, I found that the armour in films such as robocop, star wars and alien have a lot of greebles in clusers on their designs. These random looking details are commonly used on large objects such as space ships to make them look more complex and visually interesting. In character design greebles, when used in small doses, can also help add interest to the design. 

Personally I love the style of armour that exaggerates the shoulders, also because of characters like Darth Vader (Star Wars) or Freeza (Dragon Ball Z) it has become a recognizable symbol of an evil character.

With these 2 key design ideas in mind I went to create a sketch of a set of armour for the basic enemy. Originally they were going to have helmets that masks their eyes (Like metal slug or the soldier from team fortress 2) but it's a very common trope. Instead of that idea I'll be having the enemy's use popular hairstyles from the 80's, like the mullet. I decided this mainly because it will add more character to the enemies and it grounds them more into the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment